If you’re planning a party this New Year’s Eve, and you’re worried about having fun even if no one is drinking, then you’re not alone. There are tons of people who decide to start the year off sober, without a hangover. If you’re in that boat, then I’ve got some suggestions for keeping things fun and entertaining without all the booze. Here are my favorite adult New Year’s Eve games even if you’re sober.
Adult NYE Game 01: Countdown To Midnight
If you’re looking for a way to keep your party moving, then this is a great option! Grab some balloons (you can totally do 12 for the visual and pop extra at first) and arrange them into a clock shape. Number each balloon and pop them on the hour to help your group count down. You can fill the balloons with confetti for a fun effect, or you can fill them with photo challenges to help everyone document the night.
Adult NYE Game 02: Name Game
This game can be as simple and laid back as you want, or you can make it fast paced and competitive. Start by having each guest write a set amount of names on slips of blank paper. These can be celebrities, historical figures, fictional characters, and even people in your group! Then divide up and take turns acting out the names to see who can guess the person first. Make it extra challenging by limiting time or giving handicaps (must be done on one foot, you can talk but only like a pirate, etc.)
Adult NYE Game 03: Minute To Win It!
These adult New Year’s Eve games are just as much for adults as they are for kids. Toss in extra challenges to make these games a little trickier and add in a few prizes for the fastest, most accurate, most uncoordinated, etc. for added fun.
- Defy Gravity: This game uses 3 inflated balloons. The goal is to see who can keep all 3 balloons from touching the floor for 60 seconds! You can make it more challenging by adding more balloons, requiring that each balloon can’t be hit two times in a row, etc.
- Cookie Monster: Place a cookie on the forehead of your competitors. With their hands behind their backs, they have to wiggle and jiggle the cookies into their mouths without losing it to the floor.
- Chubby Bunny: See who can fit the most marshmallows in their mouths while still being able to speak a specific phrase like: “Happy New Year’s 2019”
- Solo Stack: Competitors must stack a set of solo cups into a pyramid before unstacking them with only one hand!
- That’s a Wrap!: Give contestants a roll of wrapping paper and a stack of empty boxes of various shapes and sizes. Then set the time for 60 seconds and see who can wrap the most presents the fastest!
Adult NYE Game 04: Uncensored
Yes, you’ve played games like charades and Catch Phrase before. But have you ever played the “uncensored” versions? These games are not for the faint of heart but they are sure to get people laughing! Grab Catch Phrase Uncensored here, 5 Second Rule (Uncensored) here, or Drawing without Dignity here.
Adult NYE Game 05: King Or Queen Of Kisses
This game is great for large groups! As each guest arrives, give them 5 Hershey’s chocolate kisses and explain the rules:
- The person with the most kisses at the end of the evening wins!
- Kisses can be given, but not taken away, for any reason deemed appropriate by the giver.
Then go on with the night and see who wins! People can compete, serenade, serve, and complete challenges in return for kisses. The person with the most at the end of the night wins!
So even if you’ve decided to forgo the booze this New Year’s Eve, you can still have a ton of fun! Just grab your friends, some party essentials, and get ready to ring in the New Year together!