If you’re trying to bring the holiday spirit to your neighborhood, there’s really no better way than upping your outside decor. But let’s be honest, sometimes it’s expensive to buy things fully made. Which is where DIY comes in! If you’re looking for something custom, or something a little less expensive, here are five fabulous ideas to get you started.
- Bring the Christmas Tree…Outside! I know, you’ve got one in your living room that is your pride and joy. But have you thought about bringing that Christmas cheer to your front porch? All you need to do is take those topiaries you’ve got and add a few well placed ornaments and some lights. If you can coordinate it with your wreath and a well placed garland, you’ve got yourself one beautiful holiday cheer-filled porch. Get some awesome ornaments here.
- Light up your porch or walkway with some delicate and festive ice lanterns. If the weather around you is consistently below freezing, use those temps to your advantage! Create these lanterns using whatever bowls you’ve got around the house and either the great outdoors or your freezer. These ones are all the same shape, but I think it could be amazing to have them all different. Then simple fill them with little tea lights and light when it gets dark.
- If you don’t have the freezer room, and it’s not super cold, but you still want to light the night up in some unique ways, then creating glitter lanterns is your key! Simply gather the mason jars around your house (or pick some up here), get some modge podge (here), and glitter (here). Modge podge the inside of the lantern, then pour the glitter and roll it around until it covers. Allow to dry completely, then add one more coat to seal in the glitter. Fill with twinkle lights, led lights, or tea lights. The example below is more autumnal, but you could change it up with silver, gold, red, and green glitter.
- Make your own ornaments! If you want a fun DIY project, this is for you. Using different colors of twine (here), matte medium (here), and balloons (here), you’re ready to go! Simply blow up your balloons to the shape/size you want. Cut your twine into about 36″ strands and set it to soak in the medium. Once it’s soaked, wrap it around the balloons and hang to dry. Once it’s dry, gently pop the balloon and you’re left with a twine orb. These can be hung from trees or your porch and filled with fairy lights (here).
- Holiday Topiaries: This is a great DIY project. Start with gathering your materials: a large styrofoam ball (here), pinecones (here), simple ornaments (here), planter (here), stick (here), foam brick (here), moss, hot glue gun. Start by filling the planter with the foam bricks, then placing your stick in the middle. Glue if you want it to be extra secure. Next, attach your foam ball using hot glue. Once everything is dry and sturdy, start gluing the pine cones on and add in little ornaments until you like how it looks. Lastly, add some moss around the bottom and ta-da! You’re done!
And there you have it! Five fabulous DIY ideas to bring some holiday cheer to your front porch. Merry Christmas!