Fall is one of the best seasons to take professional photos. There is just something about the soft Autumn light and the delicate colors that flatters just about everyone and everything. If you’re deciding to do family photos this fall, here are a couple of things to keep in mind:
- Color palette: keep your palette inspired by fall by sticking to softer hues like burgundy, brown, gold, etc. Feel free to accessorize with some traditional fall patterns like flannels and plaids. Just make sure that you’ve got one dominant pattern and that the rest are really neutral. Otherwise you’re going to end up having too much going on in your photos. You also want to make sure you don’t blend into your background. So, if you know you’re taking photos somewhere with lots of orange and golden-brown hues you should choose colors that are opposite on the color wheel-blues and greens. If you need a great place to stock up on some great kid clothing for your photo shoot, look no further than Crazy 8 or Gymboree.
- Mix it up! Rather than taking your pics in the fall foliage, take a hike up the mountains instead! Try experimenting with the location. Just because it’s fall, doesn’t mean you have to use the foliage. Getting outdoors and trying some place new can be just as effective. This family also chose a “pop” color of red, which makes things stand out and adds nice variety. But they kept it fallish with boots, plaid, and jeans.
- Play with lighting. Like I mentioned, autumn light is so soft and beautiful. If you can catch the time of day just right, then you can capture some of those rich golden hues. Try offsetting the gold tones by adding in greys and soft creams, with just an accent of orange or gold.
- It’s all about the angle: A beautiful shot is just as much about the angle and composition as it is content. By switching up the angle, you can get a fresh look at something that can be redundant. This photo took fall leaves to a new level by making them the gorgeous backdrop of an even more gorgeous photo.
- If all else fails, go traditional! You really can’t go wrong with golden leaves and a little fun! Tossing leaves around adds an element of fun and is definitely festive. If you keep to a good color palette, you will stick out just as much as the leaves.
And there you have it! Five fabulous suggestions to keep your fall family photo shoot extra fresh.